BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

50 Mile Finish Line!

I finished! The PCT Ultra was an amazing experience. It was a great race with awesome helpers/volunteers, and fellow runners. I wasnt sure how I would do with it all, but it was a very do-able race. I took it one mile at a time and just kept putting one foot in front of the other. I walked alot of the uphills, and ran most/all of the downhill portions. I wasnt out there to win, I was out to finish. My friend Mitch crewed for me and that was a great help. Just knowing he was gonna be at the aid stations kept me going. Also, I didnt want to DNF because he had sacrificed his whole day to help me and I wanted to make it worth his time! Around mile 34 or so I felt the best I felt the whole day, It was on a down hill portion and I was belting out Kenny Rogers while running downhill! :) it was alot of fun. The only physical problem I encountered was a blister (big) with 4 miles to go. I just ignored it and kept moving. It hurts like crazy now, but it will heal soon enough. The finish line was a sweet sweet feeling. Jess, Ari, Jolene, Katie and Mitch were all there cheering and that was awesome.

A special thanks to The Pain Train, Mike Luvin', Mike Studer, Doug Slama, and Mitch Duke for all their encouragement and prompting during the race, and during all the training (or lack thereof).

There is another 50 miler in October and I am considering it - mostly because of the fresh belt buckle you get if you finish, and I will definately plan on running the PCT again next year. I have a better handle on how to train, I know I can finish and I know I will do better all the way around.

William (pain train) said that he definately considers a 50K an ultra, but once you run a 50 Miler, you really feel like an ultrarunner - He was correct. I very much feel like an official ultrarunner. I will feel even more offical after I do a second one!

I will post some pics from the race very soon. *--Luvin', I told my buddy Mitch to get some pics of you - but you were too quick (or I was too slow) and he missed you at all the aid stations... sorry dude!

Seatbelts.

0 comments: